Friday 6 July 2007

Edberg shoots 65 to lead European Open

Straffan, Ireland (Sports Network) - Bolstered by a pair of 60-foot birdie putts and recognizable only by the red bandana he wore on his head, unheralded Swede Pelle Edberg fired a five-under 65 on Friday to take the lead midway through the Smurfit Kappa European Open.
The 28-year-old Q-school graduate posted six birdies and just one bogey on the shortened K Club course to finish two rounds at eight-under 132, one shot better than Colin Montgomerie and Niclas Fasth.
It was the first time he held a 36-hole lead on the European Tour.
"I thought I was going to be more nervous when I played today, seeing my name popping up the leaderboard, but I stayed pretty calm," said Edberg. "Obviously, if there's going to be a crowd out there tomorrow, I may get nervous. I'm not used to that kind of situation."
The two players behind him are.
Montgomerie, the eight-time Order of Merit winner, posted seven birdies and a bogey Friday to shoot a six-under 64. Fasth, a winner two weeks ago at the BMW International Open, had four birdies and two bogeys for a 68.
They shared second place at seven-under 133.
David Frost (66) and Simon Khan (67) were another shot further back at six- under 134, while four more players shared sixth place at five-under 135.
Irishman Padraig Harrington (minus-one) and U.S. Open winner Angel Cabrera (even-par) safely made the cut, but remained non-factors. The cut fell at one- over par, with players like Paul McGinley and Ian Woosnam missing the weekend.
Meanwhile, the man at the top found himself in a new position.
"If the guys told me beforehand that I could have a top-10 (finish), I would have taken it," said Edberg, who owns just one career top-10 finish on the European Tour. "Now, I am not so sure. Top 10 is always a good result and a good position, but I'm going to do everything I can to be up on the board on the weekend."
Edberg made two 60-foot birdie putts in his second round: at No. 2 and No. 8, both par threes. His only bogey Friday -- and just his second birdie in two days -- came at the par-four fourth.
He admitted to enjoying the challenge of a shortened course this week, a reality forced upon the players and tournament organizers by heavy downpours that occurred ahead of the tournament and into the first two rounds.
The 18th hole was converted from a par five to a par three, lowering the course's overall par from 72 to 70.
"Obviously the course has been shortened because of the rain, but I like having to shape the ball," said Edberg, "and I've needed to do that."
Now, he needs to shape two more good rounds.

No comments: